Branch Out Alternative Breaks

Creating a community of active & educated individuals dedicated to the pursuit of social justice

Justice Beyond the Mountains

by Madeleine Boel

Mountaintop removal was not something I was aware of until I joined William & Mary’s Student Environmental Action Coalition (SEAC). Members of SEAC has been to Mountain Justice Spring Break, and told us about the devastations of mountaintop removal. This form of resource extraction blows the tops off of mountains to get to coal seams. It’s cheaper and less labor intensive than traditional mining, but way more destructive to the environment. When Branch Out and SEAC announced that there would be a Mountain Justice trip to Appalachia, Virginia, I knew I had to go and see this for myself.

My trip was made up with people with different experiences with environmental issues; some, like me, were Environmental Policy majors, but many others joined the trip in order to spend the week amongst mountains. As the week progressed, we bonded as we learned that mountaintop removal isn’t just a problem for the environment–it’s a problem for the vibrant community of Appalachia.

Organizers from the group Mountain Justice and community members highlighted the human issues that have to do with mountaintop removal. We learned about Appalachia’s long history of fighting against exploitative coal companies, and learned that many families have a proud history of mining. Faced with mountaintop removal, the community is conflicted as people are offered less permanent jobs and young people are leaving the area. Mountaintop removal also inflicts tragedy; several years ago a boulder loosened by mountaintop removal killed a child who was asleep in his bed. However, immediately expelling coal companies from Appalachia could create a vacuum of jobs in the community. Mountaintop removal is a many-faceted issue that goes beyond environmental concerns.

One of the most important things we learned on this trip is that the community is always the authority on what is best for the area. In my favorite workshop, we learned how to go door to door and do listening projects. These projects function to build trust and learn about the strengths of the community, as well what the local people would like to see change. As enthusiastic college students, we may have the energy and resources to aid a community. However, we do not have the knowledge of what would be best for it. Mountain Justice does these kind of projects to gain knowledge and figure out the best way to combat the side effects of mountaintop removal.

Another important part of the trip was the workshops on oppression and privilege. We learned that environmental movements have historically been most inclusive of white middle class people. When an environmental issue is on the agenda, it is also important to focus on social issues. Minority groups should be strongly represented in these movements; for example, the land of Native Americans has often been destroyed, and it is typically poorer communities that end up with contaminated water or the like. Realizing this, and trying to dispel oppression while working on a campaign, became a central topic of our trip.

As an environmental policy major, I spend a lot of time learning about environmental impacts and large non-profits. This trip highlighted the fountain of knowledge in impacted communities and the importance of recognizing intersectionality in all issues; it also taught me the power of listening skills that can be applied in a campaign and in daily conversations. I’m grateful that the organizers, community members, and other students on the trip were able to expand my knowledge and show me how to be a more gracious and aware person in fighting environmental issues.

Author: Melody Porter

Hello blogosphere! While I am a relative newcomer to you, I am a long-time fan of human connection. I used to say that my major in college (above my actual political science & religion double major) was in friendships. Conversations over long meals or late nights on dorm hallway floors have been transformative in my life, and it only makes sense to me to dip my toe into new ways of opening up conversation here. Some details about my life and role at W&M: I have worked at William and Mary since August 2008, and am Associate Director in the Office of Community Engagement. I spend my time fostering student leadership in the broad areas of alternative breaks and local anti-poverty initiatives. Doing so lets me fulfill what I understand my calling to be about: working for social justice in the world, and equipping others to do so with skill, sensitivity and great love. And my pre-W&M life... I earned my Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Religion from Emory University in 1995. After graduating, I decided to get further into the world of community development and service. I served as a long-term volunteer for three years, beginning a job development program in Philadelphia and working with preschool children in Johannesburg, South Africa. I came back to Emory to earn a Master of Divinity from the Candler School of Theology in 2001, with a focus in religious education. I spent a frenetic and exciting year working four jobs - from TA'ing a preaching class with Tom Long, to catering barbecue, to managing a nonprofit family literacy program with immigrant and refugee families. I went on from there to be Associate Minister at First United Methodist Church of Germantown in Philadelphia, working in areas of social justice and community development, and directing an after school program that served more than 100 high school students. Finally, it was one more stop at Emory - where I served for three years as director of Volunteer Emory, a student-led department for community service. Through all of my professional and volunteer experiences, and life in general, I have seen how connected and interdependent people and communities are everywhere I believe in the power of mutual service to transform lives and create social change. I also love cheese fries.