Branch Out Alternative Breaks

Creating a community of active & educated individuals dedicated to the pursuit of social justice

Standing Up for What Needs to Change

Earlier this week, I joined several other of my fellow W&M students by the Crim Dell Bridge to take a stand for social issues that need attention. We literally took a stand; Now I can say that I know what it’s like to be the person staring you down from on top of a small ledge, yelling “my name is Daniela Sainz and I stand for equal food access.”

Besides some of the bizarre looks that I got as I perched upon my ledge, I must say that it was one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve ever had. A lot of people ventured near not only to hear about my cause, but to listen to the other students explain what issues they were standing for as well. My friends got to see the activist side of me in action, and I got to learn a lot more about issues that I didn’t even know impacted our community.

One of the students I met during this portion of the campaign shared that she was signing up for “a second chance.” I had no idea what that second chance entailed, but I was beguiled by how intriguing it sounded. Sure enough, she explained that she helped juvenile delinquents re-integrate themselves into society through a local program. I immediately thought of how difficult that must be for them, having to readjust to coping in the real world with that label following them everywhere they go.

Everyone who participated taught me about social issues that I had no idea were so severe. Join our Take a Stand Campaign by visiting the Office of Community Engagement in Blow Hall and learning what you can do to make a difference.